motivation

Tuesday, April 19

Sometimes its not really even about luck.  We have another IEP conference and usually they want to know what motivates Henry.

Beginning of the year- books, some toys like cars, TV, his toothbrush, food, Target.  This list has exploded with his ability to walk and now the question is more about narrowing down the things that motivate him.  I realize how important it is to his teachers, to him and to me.  I can see the frustration building as he attempts to communicate with a limited repertoire of sounds.

The most motivating things to him are school, his brothers and spending time with them, the playground and the computer.  Motivation is what will enable Henry to finally be able to speak and I know I'm on board with whatever needs to take place to make this happen.

Whenever we drive his brothers to school, Henry will sob and reach for them as they exit the car.  Once we park and get out, he is just fine.  He loves to show me how independent he is by walking by himself with his backpack on.

Henry also loves to wrestle with his brothers and even start fights with them to get his way.    This budding social interaction and his attempts to be seen as an individual make me so happy.

At first I was very reluctant to let my baby, my little 3 year old, go to school four days a week.  I really thought I could teach him what he needed to learn.  School, by far, has been the best thing for him this year.  I'm so glad I didn't refuse the services he has been offered.

Now we have one more week before his big doctor's appointment.

share this on::

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Digg

Add a comment »

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 19. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply