I keep referencing this article and maybe need to stop because really I was just trying to get to this portion that I wholeheartedly believe in. People who are lucky tend to contemplate how their unlucky experiences could have been worse whereas unlucky people think of only the misery from an unlucky experience.
A lucky person is able to keep high expectations about their future.
I really know in my heart that this experience with Henry could have been worse. He could be dying of an incurable disease or he could have had more severe muscle tone issues or he might have not been making any progress at all or he could have had behavioral issues that would prohibit him from being involved in a school setting. None of this is true and for this reason, I have a huge amount of hope for the future and my son.
When we first moved to CO, I met a woman with a son who also had developmental delays. It seemed like she was so much better able to cope than I was. I asked her how she did it and she told me that her oldest son had leukemia two years ago and was given a very small likelihood of survival. He did survive and she told me that when its a life- and -death situation, it puts everything into perspective.
This week, Henry has been making huge strides in his attempts to communicate. He says "play" when he wakes up in the morning and then asks for his "books". Tonight he said "Good night, Parker". This afternoon he said "Mama is a baby" and laughed hysterically. He has also been reading books to me if I ask- mostly its babbling but I do recognize some words, like in "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" he said "orange", "silly" and "butterfly". He is constantly on the prowl for trouble and especially likes causing it when his two older brothers are around so they react.
This lucky mom has a lot of hope for our future.
share this on:: |
Digg |
