Took a very long bike ride today on my road bike from college circa 1997. After our move, I brought the bike into a shop in town for a tune-up. I was told that the right hand gear shift is shredded and Shimano no longer makes the part. Well today I found out the former 14 gear shift is now down to 2. Riding uphill on a high gear is not fun. I missed my bike and found I can easily bike into a state park from my house. I'll take what I get from the old girl.
Today was also my attempt to fulfill the promise to hunt for tadpoles at the creek near our new house. Once I started out, I wished I had done it sooner. The boys were giddy. They were talkative and held my hand down the street and told me about their week and... well, it was dreamy.
I have mixed emotions about my kids catching animals that are struggling to survive. When Parker was 18 months old, we went to a cabin in Hayward with my parents. Parker was fascinated with these giant black tadpoles he could catch easily in the shallow water. He would catch them then squeeze them tight because he loved them... well, day after day there were many floating black tadpoles. That week, we also had a strong loon population near this cabin, probably because of Parker's daily activity.
No tadpoles or frogs for this family. No luck on that front. We do live down the street, however, and have rainboots that will fit for at least another year.
The point of today's post regarding the whole idea of luck....going with your gut. Intuition. Supposedly lucky people are more intuitive than others and part of that intuitiveness pertains to an ability to calm oneself. Meditation. Today was very meditative with the bike ride and the leisurely trip to a park. Need to remind myself that this is all more important than painting or unpacking or being crazy busy because two little boys won't want to hold my hand in a few years.
share this on:: |
Digg |

