easter eggs

Saturday, April 23

The day started, was filled with and ended with candy.   At the park near our house, there was an Easter Egg hunt.  One minute after it began, it was over.  All of the eggs were filled with gum, possibly my worst nightmare ever.  The sight, sound, smell of gum sends me into a ridiculous fit of nausea.  I really get close to throwing up every time I'm around anyone chewing it.  

I wanted to go to the Farmer's Market in Boulder so I promised the boys they could bring one piece to chew there.  I know, amazingly generous.  Although it took way too long to get there, it was worth it.  At least for the first few minutes.

There is something about a farmer's market that makes me so happy.  I love all the little samples and buying super fresh veggies and being outside for a little walk with the boys.   I especially love them in the middle of summer and having the boys pick their vegetables.  The excitement about picking out things by themselves means they also eat new things.  It is very gratifying. The one in Boulder is in a beautiful setting, but so are most of my favorite ones like the one near the Mill City market in Minneapolis and the market in Madison by State Street and the capital.  

So, as I said, first few minutes, I was so excited and happy.  We only had an hour to shop, but, well, it was a little chilly and early in the season.... the whining started right away.  I stopped to get the boys lunch at the market then I thought I could do a little shopping.  All downhill... even the gum didn't work.  I think the part that horrifies me lately is when the kids taste something in public and in front of the person that made it say "That's horrible".  It's happened a lot lately.  

I love Boulder so it makes me sad when we need to leave because the kids are having fits in public.  One day I will spend the whole day there at the Farmer's Market and shopping in the cute little stores on Pearl and having a happy hour wine and mussels during the community hour at The Kitchen.  This is my Boulder dream.

Well, the kids just really wanted to come home to work on their eggs.  I should have realized if I had allowed them to take care of their business first, they might have been happy at the farmer's market and not insulted numerous small farmers.  


And eggs, well they are the one of the first signs of good luck and new beginnings.    We need plenty of these things this week.  Also, the very first picture was of Parker and Henry with their Easter stickers from my parents.  Parker thought it would be a good idea to reuse the plastic and cardboard to make bookmarks for the grandparents.  The photos show the full range of Henry's emotions in a minute.

share this on::

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Digg

Add a comment »

This entry was posted on Saturday, April 23. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply