Yesterday was supposed to be this gorgeous day with 70-80 degree temps and plenty of sunshine. I accordingly wore a sundress to celebrate the promise of beautiful weather. About two hours later, while I was out in Denver, the weather turned into this windy mess. Sundress- well, not a good idea. I did do some good exploring of Denver in the car, though. However, at school pick-up, it was not only windy but cold... very cold. The boys, all in shorts and t-shirts, were doing their small boy equivalent of cursing- "WHY DID YOU LET ME WEAR THIS ?" Our neighbor's advice about going to Red Rocks this summer came to mind- she basically named every article of clothing- jacket, shorts, sunglasses, umbrella, flip flops, etc. as a necessity there. I laughed at the time but now I know...how do we dress here?
All of this does have a point... we came home and the boys were still shrieking and we got out of the car and there was very loud chirping right by our front door. The wind was whipping and it was cold. I realized the chirping was the sound of the newly- hatched robins.
I was the kid who rescued all sorts of animals from the woods. I once brought home a bird with a broken wing because I thought we could bring it to the vet and everything would be better. It turns out the vet doesn't really want to take care of wild animals without payment. We also found baby bunnies that were abandoned by their mother. This chirping made me sad and I thought, how can we protect this nest? I kept thinking - "especially hard on the little things". Who was especially hard on little things? I didn't remember but it rang true and I thought it was from something profound.
I just remembered today it's a line from one of my favorite movies "Raising Arizona"- "he was especially hard on the little things- the helpless and gentle creatures." It's the theme in my life lately- wondering why about life being hard on my little one. However, this doesn't erase the fact its akin to remembering "advice", thinking its amazingly wise and then realizing it is actually from People Magazine, which I've also done.
Today, Henry bit a stranger in the butt, took a twix bar from the checkout lane and placed it on the counter, said "bye-bye" to Peter and waved, stacked blocks and asked repeatedly for my iphone to play Starfall. I was a little saddened today about the whole diagnostic process and was sharing this with Pete and he told me "it's better that they don't see what Henry can do because we can get as much help as possible". That's the wisdom I need to remember.
Life can be hard on the little things and that's why you need to get as much help as possible.
We bought curtains for the boy's rooms today because we are tired of them waking so early. We are mkaing a wish that the blackout panels will mean sleeping until at least 7 am.
share this on:: |
Digg |

