first robin of spring

Monday, April 18

I took a long break from the diet of daily blogging this weekend and gorged myself on movies, watching Coachella live via YouTube and generally neglecting my commitment to this blog.  I did some painting of walls too.

The painting actually pertains to the post today.  I'm a big fan of Genevieve Gorder from back in the "Trading Spaces" days.  She has a new show, I know, but I don't watch nearly as much TV as I did back when I had only a newborn.  She always advised her clients to pick color combinations that appear together in nature for the most pleasing impact.  
I think its funny that I've internalized this advice so much that I really didn't notice what I was doing until the living room was half-painted.  I'm using the colors of the robin in the dining and living room.  The dining room is a terra cotta but definitely the same red as on the robin's breast.  The living room color is called Sparrow and well, same color as the back feathers.  Peter even said the hallway color is almost the same color as a robin's eggs.  
It's weird because there is a robin that has her nest right outside of Parker's window and I hear and see her every morning.  She has her nest in a tree with beautiful flowers.  I still haven't figured out what sort of tree it is.  
Seeing your first robin in spring is supposedly good luck.  I bet its even better luck to have one nesting outside your front door. 

My heart is feeling lighter.  I think that's the impact that spring always has on me.  The smell of warmth and flowering trees in the air, planting flowers and vegetables, knowing the days will be much longer and filled with fun...  new hope.  
I always think of this poem by Robert Frost in spring-
Nature's first green is gold, 
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
I think of it not because I'm scholarly but because of Pony Boy.  Sad but true. It's one of my favorite poems and I think of it frequently in the spring.

Posting more this evening to make up for my weekend of hedonistic neglect.  I have quite a few videos from the weekend which I hope to share.

share this on::

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Digg

Add a comment »

This entry was posted on Monday, April 18. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply