The day started well. And then- well, what is there to say? I will do better tomorrow?
This afternoon when I had an hour break, I read this amazing blog entry by my absolute favorite photographer, Deb Schwedhelm, from today about an entry in another blog "Conscientious" (www.jmcolberg.com/weblog/) about what makes a great portrait:
From http://www.debsphotographs.com/photoblog/ -
is it....
an intangible element
luck and patience
the graphic elements, framing, lines and light
what is said about the image maker
what is said about the subject
images that make a statement
vulnerability and awkwardness
a feeling and reaction
an insight into an inner universe
an element of surprise
insightful and engaging
a meaningful connection
an emotional exchange
tension in the moment
infused with believability
mutual trust
a raw and honest exchange
the capturing of a state of grace
something that rarely happens
an unanswerable question
I especially like luck and patience.
And Mike Schacherer, I thought about your quote -"luck is the residue of design"... I don't know why I thought about the planet Earth as a prime example. Life on Earth is really the best planning in the galaxy, if not the universe (or the best luck).
The bottom photo is the height of waves in the Pacific Ocean following the Tsunami in Japan with the red signifying the height of giant waves. Seeing this image in the same day as dinosaur skeletons really solidifies for me how lucky we are to continue to reside on this planet.
I felt lucky early today with my two little boys. Henry has been running away and he did plenty of it at the museum. It's about time I chased my 3-yr-old.
share this on:: |
Digg |

