cheap therapy

Friday, May 13

When I first started this blog project, I felt very afraid.  I do not want to compromise my child and his future, but I was definitely struggling to explain our day-to-day reality to my parents and friends and also struggling to find parents with similar situations to our own.

The blog has definitely helped with the explanation portion.  If my friends and family care to read about us, they can do it any time of day and I don't feel like I'm overwhelming anyone in particular with our family details.

However, I was still struggling with connecting with other parents in Denver, so earlier this week, when Blogger was down for maintenance, I reached out to other parents with similar stories through an organization called Parent to Parent.

Here was my email:

Hello all-

My name is Nicole Lenzen.  I have three little boys, Parker, Thomas and Henry.  My youngest, Henry, is three and has a somewhat unidentified developmental disability.  I say somewhat because we very recently received a diagnosis of cerebral palsy due to all of his motor delays, but the doctors will also be keeping close tabs on him to evaluate whether he also has PDD-NOS.  

We also moved from Minnesota in November last year, so it has been a whirlwind and rather stressful.  We miss our good network of support in Minnesota.  In an effort to cope and also to use my photography skills (I had a small business as a portrait photographer in MN), I started a blog.  It was meant to be a 365 project, but I've fallen a little short of this goal.  I do, however, intend to continue it for one year.  

Long story short, I was hoping to include other families and their stories on this blog.  I would love to do a portrait session for anyone willing to participate.  I would also make a CD of images available free of charge.  If you would like to be a part of this project, I just ask that you allow me to share the pictures and your story on my blog.  The theme of the pictures started as making wishes/ methods of making wishes and the reality of my day.  Its morphed more into a description of the way I'm coping with our reality.

I know there are many of you out there trying to find ways to stay sane.  I really started this project before I knew of P2P because I was having difficulty finding similar stories to my family.  I was also having difficulty expressing my day-to-day reality to my parents and my friends.  Sharing our story has been surprisingly healing.  

If you are interested, please email me at nicolelenzenphotography@gmail.com.  You can see my blog project by going to my website www.nicolelenzenphotography.com and clicking on the pictures to the far right - blog.

Thanks-
Nicole Lenzen

mama to Parker (8), Thomas (6) and Henry (3)

I thankfully have been contacted by numerous mothers.  I'm very excited to meet them and their children.  I hope as these families are included in the project that others will want to participate.

One mother who reached out to me invited me to view her blog and told me it was the cheapest therapy she's found.  Her blog is  http://angelaiden.webs.com/apps/blog/.  She has fantastic perspective and I will be following her blog regularly.

Also, I know realize doing this daily is like writing a love letter to my children.  I've been very, very bad about keeping a baby book so in a way, this is a daily journal of all the things I might forget otherwise.  It is also important to remember the struggles.  

share this on::

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Digg

Add a comment »

This entry was posted on Friday, May 13. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply