When I was pregnant with Henry, we really couldn't decide on the right name. We had a giant list of names thanks to baby name wizard and nymbler and babycenter, but the top name on my list was Asher.
I not only loved the way it sounded with my other children's names, I always loved what it meant. Asher means "happy, blessed". What could be a better wish for your child?
The night I had my third child, I went into labor at midnight and had him within an hour. Seeing his face and with a giant list of names, we thought we might leave the hospital with baby Lenzen. We put all of our name choices on a blackboard and asked every visitor, every nurse what their favorite name was. Before we left the hospital, we decided on the name Henry (after many grandfathers) and Cole (an abbreviation of my name).
What's in a name? I poured over many name books and sites to find the perfect one. So does everyone- it can become an obsession. The name you give your child determines who that child will be.
In an attempt to figure out why Henry did not do certain things according to the normal schedule, we've consulted many specialists, including a neurologist. I saw this neurologist about four times and he was by far my favorite doctor. He considered his most important role during clinic visits was as a counselor to help families understand and support their children. At every visit, he would remind me that no matter what diagnosis we eventually received (or did not receive) for Henry, it did not impact his happiness. Not one little bit. He was either a happy child or not- end of story. And in his observation, Henry was a very happy little boy. When he asked me about Henry, I would tell him he had a great sense of humor. He would then say "Nicole, you have to be smart to have a sense of humor".
The fact that Henry is the happiest child I've ever met, can draw a crowd of adults and children, and has a sense of humor, I consider him blessed.
There is another very important reason I consider him blessed. When he first started using his walker, we were encouraged to take it with him everywhere. So we did. He used it at Target and at the zoo and at home and on daily walks down the sidewalk. We went the Minnesota Zoo on one occasion and Henry was in his walker. I remember a group of adults staring at him as he proceeded down the path to the tigers. One of my other sons yelled at this entire group- "Stop staring! He needs it to walk". Henry is blessed because of the patience, love, and understanding of his brothers.
I am also glad we didn't name him Asher. Henry fits him perfectly.
share this on:: |
Digg |

This was great to read. Continue to share your voice through photos and your words.
ReplyDeleteI always love looking at your blog and reading your thoughts, but this post in particular really touched me. Your writing oozes with love for you children and family and it makes me smile to read how much you adore your kiddos. Hope you're enjoying Colorado!
ReplyDeleteOh my- so new to this blogging that I forgot to check comments. Thank you two! Thanks, Katie- I really thought it was time to share as I couldn't find much out there about families dealing with similar issues. We're loving CO- you should come see us!
ReplyDelete