I have kept out baby toys longer than I probably should have. I think it is in part because I'm always encouraged to work on skills like cause-and-effect with Henry and this is the realm of the baby toy. Our ride-on toddler toys, like the Fischer Price horse that I rode when I was a baby, have been sitting out, readily available and accessible in hopes that one day Henry might find them interesting. Now that Henry is 3 1/2, he is far too big to actually ride on these toys although his motor skills have advanced to the point he could do it if he wanted.
So, this weekend I decided it was time to pack these little ride-on toys into storage, the horse, the rocket, the wagon and others. I have to admit knowing that these toys were never used does make me a little melancholy like how I feel lately when I see a woman with a small baby. I just know it is a period of my life that will never be repeated. It is time to say goodbye to those emotions. In with the new- I found a ride-on toy that Henry can move with his hands and we're putting his tricycle in a more prominent position in the garage.
I say "in with the new" so nonchalantly, don't I? I really am not feeling it today. I took the kids to the pool and in the shower, there was a seat. Thomas was playing with it, sliding it in and out and climbing on top of it. I asked him to stop. When he asked why, I said, "it is for those with disabilities". He very quickly said "Like Henry?" These words still stop me dead in my tracks. Also, when we went to Garden of the Gods last weekend, there was ample parking in the handicapped spaces. My husband asked me "When are you going to get the handicapped plates?" and I said "Never". I know this tallies up to a fair amount of denial, but I also know I am accepting other facets of our life, like putting away toys that will never be used. However, these are more like an admittance to myself that things are a certain way, not to the world.
A huge thanks to all of you who have been reading this blog with regularity and for all of your kind messages. Among the top two, Karen and Tori who I will be sending emails to this evening. Thank you, thank you! Your kindness is buoy- emails coming soon...
share this on:: |
Digg |

