day six/ intention
I took my first hot yoga class in over a year and before the class began the teacher spoke of intention. She told us how she went for a run the day before and decided she was going to enjoy it before she even put on her running shoes. Having this intention in mind allowed her not just finish her run, but enjoy it, something she had never done.
I've been thinking about this in regards to my life in the last two days. I have honestly been feeling more levity in the tougher moments.
However, it has been a week full of wonderful news.
On Monday, we received a package at 8:20 am. Henry finally received his iPad thanks to his Grandma and Grandpa. We've been thinking about getting him an iPad for over a year, but the gift from his grandparents has made it so. I wish I would have photographed his face as he first explored his new device. It was beautiful.
Henry has had plenty of opportunity to use an iPad. He has used Starfall and My First App (Eric Carle) and Talking Tom and various other applications on my iphone and with his therapists on the iPad. This was a completely different smile using an iPad of his own.
I've read that Steve Jobs never intended for the iPad or any other device to be used for special needs children, but I think this might be their best use.
Steve Jobs, wherever you might be, if you could have seen the smile on my child's face this morning, creating the iPad for special needs kids would have been your life's purpose. I don't think there is anything wrong with it being an unintentional life's purpose and I don't think there is anything more beautiful.
Yesterday, Henry went poop on the adult toilet for the first time ever. True, I did put him on the toilet every 30 minutes for about 5 hours and true, he was falling asleep on the toilet when he finally went, but once he did go, he was wide awake (the poop snapped him awake). Unfortunately, he went poop before he woke up this morning, his normal routine to avoid potty training.
Then this morning, Henry was talking and expressing his desires. We went to physical therapy and he went from the ground to standing in his shoes about 10 times which is exactly 10 times more than he did 2 weeks ago. His therapist also put him on the tricycle and was helping him pedal but said, "I think he'll be able to go a block on his tricycle by June". WOW. Even if this doesn't happen by June, I am so impressed by this expression of hope and the fact she sees Henry making so much progress.
And then this afternoon, we received news that Henry will be attending preschool in Cherry Creek in the fall. One more year of preschool is EXACTLY what my little guy needs.
It is odd that my intention for this week was to enjoy what comes and so many good things have come.
share this on:: |
Digg |


Intention - what a powerful thing. I need to remember that more often :)
ReplyDeleteI love reading your writing (and looking at your photography!!) Hope you are well.
Jen
Jen- I hope you know how much I value your friendship. You always seem to know the right moment to reach out with a phone call or an email or a message of some sort. I hope I am that sort of friend to you as well. I miss you. Thank you for the compliment. I would love to see you when we are in Minnesota- maybe go out? Nicole
Delete