In the book "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day", he has a bad day because he doesn't get the prize in the breakfast cereal and doesn't get the shoes he wants shoe shopping.
What happens when you don't register your car in time because you can't locate your registration after a move? Apparently you get to wait at the DMV for 2 hours to find out what you need to get from the dealer and then you get to go back the next day for another 2 hours. Then you also get to pay $450 to register your vehicle and you may not pass go.
Later on this same day, we had a dentist appointment scheduled and I kept thinking "reschedule, reschedule, reschedule" because I have this weird superstitious belief system that tells me if you start the day out badly, it is a good idea to reschedule other events that very easily can go badly.
Well, I will heed my intuition next time.
Dentist office at 4 pm- we checked in Parker and Thomas. About 45 minutes later, the dentist brought me back to discuss Thomas' teeth. She said, "So did Thomas have jaundice in the first few weeks of his life?" "Yes", I said, "all of my kids had jaundice". "Well", said the dentist "that is why your son has spots on his adult teeth and he'll have spots on the ones coming in on top as these form during the first few months after birth". GREAT... Then she told me Thomas also had cavities on two of his molars and needed sealants on two others. Parker, on the other hand, has the perfect teeth. Widely spaced enough to allow growth, no cavities, beautiful teeth. No orthodontics in his future whereas our previously hit-it-out-of-the-ballpark lucky son, Thomas, will probably need braces and sealants and fillings (very soon) and a fair amount of cosmetic work on the front teeth affected by jaundice. All luck.
The dentist then checked out Henry's teeth because he's been grinding his teeth at night a lot lately. She offered me a rather detailed description of what Henry's teeth will look like in the future. Because of his cerebral palsy or hypotonia, his teeth will push outward as his mouth muscles don't completely allow his mouth to close. His adult teeth will also erupt much later which might cause difficulties. She also said that orthodontic work usually is not a good idea with kids like Henry as they fight all procedures.
I think all of my trips to the orthodontist and dentist have scarred me because this appointment caused a bit of a panic in me. Or maybe it what I've discovered about being scared of heights. If it just me and my husband in the gondola or on the switchback road or in any sort of dangerous situation, I'm ok. If my children are anywhere near these situations, I freak out. I have without fail had huge panic attacks on many of the vacations we've taken with our children in the mountains because I fear they might die from a horrible fall. I'm not weird. I read an article about other mothers like me.
We left with toothbrushes and stickers and prizes and I had the bill which left me very glad to have insurance.
Arriving at the car, there was a cricket on the driver's side window. Crickets are very good luck in China. Parker is obsessed with them lately (as well as frogs and bees and anything he can catch) so I called him up. In a flash, he was outside, hand on the window and back into the car with the cricket.
What's odd is that these little moments with my children, the timeless ones, remind me that the rest won't really be remembered. I won't remember my horrible moments at the DMV or the times I had to discuss the dental future of my children. I will only remember Parker capturing, in a flash, a cricket on the car window. Hopefully, in exchange, my children won't remember me freaking out everytime we go up a mountain or drive a steep mountain pass.
Drove home, still a little perturbed but listening to Parker talk about the cricket, and upon arriving home, opened the front door to find Daisy, our dog, had snuck out of her kennel and left a diarrhea trail in the living room. Stainmaster carpet and Resolve and 30 minues later... I thought all back to normal.
Peter informed me he found poop in the dining room and basement the next day- which brings us to the present.
.
share this on:: |
Digg |


