(for November 20th)
"Mama, I want that. I like that".
"I want to go home"
"That's my book"
"I want to play"
This is just a sample of all of the things Henry said today. We are three weeks into private speech, twice a week, paying out of pocket, but it is the best money our family has ever spent.
Henry is bossy. Henry has an opinion about most things. Henry hates going on shopping excursions with me. Henry also enjoys when I or Peter get pounded by the boys but screams if we tickle either Thomas or Parker.
Earlier this week, Henry stayed home from school after one of his therapies and when he woke, all he wanted to do was play. We took out the Little People and Henry had each of his figures walk step-by-step up the slide and then would push them down. One of the little girls fell and he pretended to cry. It was all so remarkable to watch. It was also so fantastic to spend time with him playing with the Little People because he really tried to put the people in the bus, take the kids to school in the bus, etc. It was a level of pretend play that I hadn't seen before today.
We also started private occupational therapy this week with a therapist with cerebral palsy. It was a revelation. She understands Henry better than any therapist he's ever had. She told me that the best outcome for any child with a disability is being part of the community. She encouraged me to look into the Special Olympics program and the Adapted Ski program at Breckenridge and Winter Park.
Finding the right situation for Henry to learn is a definite challenge and we have been looking into options for next year, but we seem to find that the only real environments with therapist involvement are either private preschool options (at around $12,000+ per year) or starting Henry in kindergarten.
share this on:: |
Digg |

